Tier 5 - Religious Workers

89, Grove Road, Houghton Regis, Dunstable LU5 5PD | Mobile +44 (0)78 7708 8526 | Office: +44 (0)152 825 12977

What is the religious worker category?

The religious worker category is for people coming to the UK to work temporarily as a religious worker.

Religious workers can do:

 preaching, pastoral work and non-pastoral work;

 work in the UK in the same way you are working in an overseas organisation (although your duties in the UK may be different). The job should be done during a break from your job overseas; or

 work in a religious order with community which involves a permanent commitment like a monastery or convent. The work in a religious order must be in the order itself or outside work directed by the order. You can apply if you are a novice whose training means taking part in the daily community life of the order.

Who can apply as a religious worker?

Before you apply under the religious category, you must have:

 a sponsor; and
 a valid certificate of sponsorship.

When you apply you are awarded points based on your sponsorship and available maintenance (funds). (85)

You can apply under the religious worker category now if you are:

 applying for permission to enter the UK (known as 'entry clearance') under the religious worker category;

 already in the UK as a Tier 5 religious worker and want to extend your permission to stay if you have been here for less than 24 months, which is the maximum time you are allowed to stay.

If you are coming to the UK for a business visit, for example, you are attending a conference, you can do some preaching and pastoral work as long as you are based overseas and do not plan to work here.

If you are a member of a religious order and studying for a qualification, a formal full-time course of study or training in an academic institution not looked after by the order, you should apply under the student category.

Teachers working in schools not looked after by their order must apply as a teacher under the sponsored skilled worker category of tier 2.

If your main reason for coming to the UK is to do preaching and pastoral work, you should apply under the minister or religion category of tier 2.

Switching is not allowed in or out of the religious worker category.

How long can you stay for?

If you are given permission to stay as a religious worker, you will be able to live and work in the UK for a maximum time of 24 months, or the time given in your certificate of sponsorship plus 28 days, whichever is shorter (beginning no more than 14 days before the start date given on your certificate of sponsorship).

If you need to be able to come and go from the UK with your job

If you need to leave and come back to the UK quite a few times as part of the job you are doing, you can get a multiple entry certificate of sponsorship. Your sponsor will give you a multiple entry certificate of sponsorship that allows you to come and go from the UK a number of different times during the length of your certificate.

If you have permission to come (entry clearance) for any length of time, you will be able to leave and come back to the UK during the time you have permission.

If you leave the UK and you were given 6 months or less permission to stay (leave to remain), you will not be able to come back as your permission to stay ends when you leave the UK. You must apply again to be able to come back.

We are happy to offer a fixed fee plan to our clients. We give you the best and affordable quote to receive quality service from us. Contact us through email: jds.img@hotmail.co.uk or on Mob. 07877088526 to book an appointment

NOTE: Please make a note that the immigration rules are subject to change. You must meet all the requirements of the Immigration Rules at the time of application with us.