Tier 2 - Minister of Religion

89, Grove Road, Houghton Regis, Dunstable LU5 5PD | Mobile +44 (0)78 7708 8526 | Office: +44 (0)152 825 12977

The Tier 2 (Minister of religion) category is for people who have been offered employment or posts or roles within their faith communities in the UK as: 

 ministers of religion undertaking preaching and pastoral work;
 missionaries; or
 members of religious orders. 

Pastoral duties include:

 leading worship regularly and on special occasions;
 giving religious education to children and adults by preaching or teaching;
 officiating at marriages, funerals and other special services; and
 offering counselling and welfare support to members of the congregation; and
 ecruiting, training and co-ordinating the work of any local volunteers and lay preachers.

Work as a missionary is not just preaching and teaching. It can include:

 the organisation of missionary activity (but should not be administrative or clerical, unless filling a senior post);
 supervising staff;
 co-ordinating the organisation of missionary work;
 being in charge of a particular activity such as accounts/finance, personnel management or IT; and
 translating religious texts - this is missionary work, not clerical work.

The work in a religious order must be in the order itself, or outside work directed by the order.

If you are a member of a religious order and you want to study for a qualification, a formal full-time course of study or training in an academic institution not looked after by the order, you should not apply to Tier 2 (Minister of religion. Instead, you should apply as a student under Tier 4 of the points-based system. 

Working full-time as a teacher in a school run by a church or missionary organisation does not count as missionary work. If this is the work that you will be doing, you must apply as a teacher under the Tier 2 (General) category.

If you want to come to the UK as a religious worker for a shorter time, you should apply under Tier 5 (temporary worker - religious worker).

Do you need a Tier 2 visa to come to the UK?

Tier 2 is part of the UK points-based system, which is for migrants from outside Europe. You do not need to apply under the points-based system if:

 you are a national of a country in the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland.

 you are a British overseas territories citizen, unless you are from one of the sovereign base areas in Cyprus;

 you are a Commonwealth citizen with permission to enter or stay in the UK because at least one of your grandparents was born in the UK.

 your partner or (if you are under 18) one of your parents has permission to stay in the UK under Tier 2 of the points-based system - you should apply as their dependant; or

 you have no conditions or time limit attached to your stay.

We are happy to offer a fixed fee plan to our clients. We give you the best and affordable quote to receive quality service from us. Contact us through email: jds.img@hotmail.co.uk or on Mob. 07877088526 to book an appointment

NOTE: Please make a note that the immigration rules are subject to change. You must meet all the requirements of the Immigration Rules at the time of application with us.